Monday, August 21, 2006

Naked guy, chicken toe

On Friday morning Jenni left us to go to the land and pick up “the kitchen,” our gas stove, pots, and dishes. The remaining six of us student missionaries decided to head in to town and pick up some breakfast.

We had neared the gate of the compound when I looked up and saw a man, stark naked, walking down the street. He held some bunched up fabric in his hand. Since it was raining, I wondered if this was a traditional custom, a way to keep clothes dry. The guy was only about 30 feet away from us. I was a little shocked.

“Jackson!” I exclaimed, “What is going on?”

Jackson was as surprised as me; he hadn’t seen such a sight in Pucallpa during the last few months. We turned the other direction, and everyone shared a nervous laugh.

Later Jenni told me that this particular bare gentleman is a common town sighting, he’s apparently a little crazy and no one knows what to do with him. Welcome to Pucallpa, I guess.

Last week the team was eating at a menu, a traditional Peruvian dinner place, and Jackson found an entire chicken toe in his plate of chicken, toenail and all. We all reeled back a little. All of us, that is, except for Jenni. She wasn’t surprised.

I wish I had taken a picture of it, the little yellow toe with its layers of translucent skin. Actually, ewww, I’m glad I didn’t.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

Dear Ansley, Your blog is so great! The pictures are cool, and your descriptions of things are so fun. It definitely sounds like you are having the experience of a lifetime! Love, Mrs. Payne

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home