Thursday, February 08, 2007

Family Conference

We've finished worship, and everyone is tired. The boys don't look too thrilled when I exclaim, "Oh! We have to figure out the food budget!"

They eye me.

It's Tuesday night. I've been buying the food for two days, but no one has put their money in the pot yet for this week. It's time to settle up.

The boys take their candles to their rooms so they can find their wallets, then they return to the table. I grab my little black notebook and our food budget wallet. It is 5 soles per person per day. Everyone owes 35 soles, about 10 dollars, for the week of food.

Alex doesn't have the right change, neither does John.

Ryan doesn't quite have enough to meet his dues, he needs to go into town and change money. I take note of this. I write "Ryan owes food budget 1.40 s/" in the black book and draw a star next to it.

Alex puts in two twenties, and takes five back from what Ryan put in. Jackson and John figure out a similar exchange. I cross out their names in the book.

I've spent more than I owe. I tally up the prices of groceries so far, subtract what I owe, and reimburse myself.

I'm relieved. There is money in the food budget. The family conference is over, and we can go to bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger ThrushSong said...

Ansley, I think it would be so interesting to be an anthropologist studying your group of friends there is Pucallpa. It would be fun to try to describe the social interactions that you have and to learn about the various roles that each person plays in your societal unit.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home