Monday, April 16, 2007

Ant combat

We've tried a barrier of duct tape rolled around sticky side out. We've tried layers of tightly tied plastic bags. We've tried hanging the bags of food from string in the middle of the room.

Still, the ants beat us.

They cross the stickiness of the duct tape, chew through the layers of plastic, crawl upside down across the ceiling to reach the hanging bags of tastiness. They endure a great deal to get to our food. They must be very hungry.

But I am not willing to share.

I was greatly distressed last week when I found the ants had gotten into the precious bags of pecans and walnuts my little brother had hand carried from the States. They had feasted themselves right through the unopened pachages. We can't buy nuts here, so I carefully sorted out every last ant and put the nuts in tupperwear containers.

The moat works best. Jenni taught me the moat method. Ants don't swim, or at least ours haven't learned yet. I wouldn't put it past them.

You place the food in an open container, like a cereal bowl. Then you find a bigger container, like a tupperwear lid placed upside down, or a big bowl or pot. You our an inch or two of water in the bigger container, than put the bowl of food smack down in the middle, so all sides are well surrounded by water.

Presto. You've fooled the ants.

When I lived with Hermana Fredde she demonstrated a different way to deal with the ants. She would leave a small piece of raw meat on her counter, straight up give the ants an invitation and a feast. Then, after a large and hungry crowd had gathered, she would dash boiling water on them, killing them all instantly, and creating a steamy and wet mess in her kitchen.

I found this method a little too intense for my liking.

4 Comments:

Blogger The View from Great Island said...

When Lyn was in Tiawan she got some special chalk that they used to combat ants. One only had to draw a line on the counter around the object to be protected and the ants would not cross the line. I may be able to find a piece and if so will send it to you.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

have you tried eating them? if they are eating your food, it may be the only way to survive. from what I've heard, some types are rather tasty

4:12 PM  
Blogger Chopsticks on Oboe said...

Yeah Paul! I've heard from my dad that ants need a bit of salt though. In Malawi they would saute the flying ants in tomatoe sauce and onions. I bet you could find some good recipes for an ant orderve. :-)

11:00 PM  
Blogger kelli g said...

Did I ever tell you about the time the boys bludgeoned the rat (Felipe) with a broom handle? It was barbaric, yes, but I can't say I was sad to see him go.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home