Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Modern plumbing






On August 2, 2007, running water arrived at Km 38. This was a most momentous occasion, as for 12 months we had been hiking to a pit toilet for the potty, taking bucket baths, and washing hands and dishes in a plastic tub. There is just nothing like running water.

The shower was completed first. Then the utility sink behind the house got hooked up, and suddenly we had a place to scrub potatoes and wash the rice. The next day when we returned from errands, the toilet, complete with toilet seat, was ready, and there was even a tiny sink in the bathroom.

I couldn't handle it.

"Carly!" I squealed, "There's a SINK in the BATHROOM!"

Emily, being inside the house, yelled out, "There's a SNAKE in the bathroom?" Emily is one of the new student missionaries, who arrived just days ago.

Before I had a chance to reply, there was a scream from behind the bathroom door, occupied by Kristin, another newbie.
"There's a FROG in the TOILET!" she hollared.

There actually was a frog in the toilet. Carly and I looked at each other and laughed. Welcome to Peru.

3 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

Ansley I miss you. This blog was so cute and funny is made me smile. I'm looking forward to seeing you! 3 weeks! Please hug Kaitlin for me. :)
Monika

4:40 AM  
Blogger Alex said...

Wow! things are moving forward... me extrano Peru!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

QUE INCREIBLE??!!

No puedo creer...

brent tiene un situacion muy extrano, puede ser terrible, o capaz, esta muy muy buen suerte!

Un abrazo, y Bienvenidos.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home