Saturday, September 09, 2006

Storm

On Tuesday night we got a late start back to Iquitos on the boat. A storm came up suddenly, and the churning water and waves put us in a dangerous situation. Our boat had been designed for calm seas.

I became afraid when one of our translators barked at everyone to put on life jackets and prepare to swim. The life jackets were in sad shape, mine didn't have any buckles and had to be tied in knots across me.

We didn't want to boat to sink because it was packed with our medicines and supplies for the whole week of clinics. We would not be able to swim the supplies to shore.

Jenni grabbed my knee. Ansley, she said, Pray. God will be with us.

We were soaked from the waves that splashed over the front of the boat. I would not have guessed that a storm so large could have happened on a river. However, I've never seen a river as big as the Amazon.

One of our translators, Marcos, told me later that in his 17 years of being a tour guide and trip leader on the Amazon he had never seen such a storm. The boat driver told us that if the storm had begun 5 minutes earlier the boat would have gone down in the water and we would have had to manage another way to shore.

But we made it. We finally found a safe place to dock and a moment when it was quiet enough to turn broadside and duck in to safety.

I'm so thankful that God protected us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thrushsong said...

Ansley, I'm so glad God protected you. I would like to see a picture of your fair weather boat.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home