Friday, September 01, 2006

Language blunders

As John and I endured the hour-long trek back from town with our food from the market, we decided to converse with the neighbors as we hiked past. It’s our countryside too, after all. We cheerfully greeted the construction workers and school kids playing in the dirt as we walked past.

One lady was amused by us, our arms full of produce and our bodies covered in sweat. She made some comment about the weather, (why yes, it is hot, thanks so much for pointing that out), then asked a question which I knew had the word donde in it.

Lots of people ask where we’re from, so I confidently replied to her question with, “De Estados Unidos.”

I smiled at her.

She made a funny face, then laughed out loud. “You can’t get there from here!” She said in Spanish, still laughing.

I suddenly realized she had asked “a donde” not “de donde.”

She had asked where we were going, and I had said the United States! Here we are on our way with our sandals, groceries, and sweat. No wonder she was laughing.

I explained my mistake to John and then we all shared the laughter together.

“It’s going to be a long walk,” John said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home