Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mud and Popcorn

John had lent his watch to one of the Peruvian carpenters, Hector, and when we didn't see Hector or the watch for a few weeks, we decided to set off to Hector's house and see what could be done.

I sat in the backseat of the Jeep, praying with my eyes closed for most of the drive through the jungle. We traveled in a rainstorm that grew steadily worse, the driver couldn't see more than a few feet in front of him. We crossed a wooden plank bridge that was partly washed out, slid around in a great deal of sloshy mud, and barely missed slicking off into ditches to join many other misfortuned vehicles. What a mess. We splooshed through a brown lake with great flair, then finally arrived in front of Hector's wooden house.

Hector and all of his family were there, maybe twelve people in all, some sitting on the floor shelling beans. We entered the house and joined them-Alex, Jackson, John, and me. Because of the tin roof it was too loud to talk; we just sat and smiled at each other. We looked out the front door as the incredible rain created craters in the earth.

One of the women in the house got up and made us popcorn in a huge crusty black kettle, another lady made a sweet syrupy lemon drink that reminded me of hummingbird food. The savory crisp popcorn was perhaps the best I've ever tasted in my life.

You can never be sure when these hearty jungle people will serve you boiled grubs or fried ants. Harmless and legless popcorn is an extra special blessing. I'll save my grub story for another day.

We were able to retrieve the watch and when the rain finally died down, about an hour later, we set off again. I took up my post in the backseat, not looking, just praying.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

Ansley, you are amazing! You are having such adventures!! You sound like you're having so much fun! The fire story is a clear example of how God is protecting you and your friends. We all continue to pray for His mighty protection for you! Love, Jen

4:16 AM  
Blogger Alban said...

Ans, sorry I missed your call. I was mopping floors. How fun! I'm jealous of all your adventures!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It's encouraging to hear how the Lord is blessing you, Ansley! :)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Thrushsong said...

Great Stories, Ansley. I echo everyone else's comments. Since your English teacher didn't mention it..., flare is a bright light from a fire used as a torch or signal, the word you want is flair.

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home