Sunday, October 08, 2006

I am not your mother

A small bug bite on the back of my forearm started bothering me on Monday. It ached when I jotted notes for a grocery list or wrote in my journal, it itched at night, and was sore when I woke up in the morning. I have many bites, so I ignored it.

By Wednesday, I could feel a firm nodule about the size of a nickel beneath the skin. The area was becoming more inflamed, and it was painful. I showed the site to the doctor.

He pushed around and probed and looked displeased. “I think it might be a parasite,” he told me, “Put charcoal on it and I’ll look at it tomorrow.”

The charcoal did not offer any relief. The next day I was able to release some pressure along with thick yellow pus and blood from the site, but the deep soreness remained.

“Bring me a needle,” Doctor told me that night, “Let’s open it up and get that thing out.”

I gathered the supplies, and Alex held headlamps for us. Jackson and John both pinched some of my fingers with all of their might to try to distract me from the pain in my arm. Still, I could not help from hollering as the Doctor plunged the needle around.

The doctor found a tiny white larvae amongst the drainage. It was small and serene—how could it be causing so much trouble? We all stared down at it, intrigued and disgusted.

Doctor held it up on the gauze. “Look, Ansley, it came from your body, it misses you, it’s calling ‘Mama, mama!’”

He has a sick sense of humor.

I stared at him. “No, “ I said, “I’m not the mother, get it away from me.”

1 Comments:

Blogger Thrushsong said...

OK, I'm impressed. You must really be either a missionary or a member of a National Geograhic expedition. I think having a live larva probed out of an abcess means you have joined the ranks of the elite. Please be careful, I don't want to visit your grave in the jungle.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home