Friday, November 24, 2006

In the classroom

On Monday Jenni asked me to organize a group of four SMs to prepare health talks for elementary school kids. On Tuesday, John, Karen, Jackson and I set off for the local elementary school to try and impart some knowledge to the kids.

We were a little nervous because none of us had previously tried pubic speaking in Spanish, but we jotted down the appropriate verbs we'd need to use and tried to be creative yet simple with our presentations.

Karen talked about nutrition and the importance of drinking water, I talked about parasites, John talked about hygiene, and Jackson talked about mouth care. We started in a class with very small children, and each of us used little skits to illustrate our points. In John's talk, for example, Jackson was the sink and I was the soap, and John used us as he demonstrated how to wash your hands.

(Later in the week, we treated a kid from that school in clinic. He pointed to me and told his mom, "Mira, mamita, la chica de jabon!" I think that's the first time I've been called soap girl).

The kids were precious. Each classroom was amazingly attentive and good natured. They answered questions well and laughed when John had to act out the symptoms of parasites, or when Jackson drew rotting teeth on the rather dismal chalkboards.

To wrap up our classroom visits we asked questions and handed out toothburshes to the kids with the correct answers. The teachers often tried to answer as well; everyone loves a free toothbrush.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thrushsong said...

I think soap girl is a great name for a young nurse in the jungle. If that's what you're known for you're accomplishing a lot.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh :) It sounds like you guys had lots of fun being creative. Oh, and I was more than a little amused by your new nickname. I agree with your Dad ;)

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home