Wednesday, February 28, 2007

New words

The word for rain in Spanish is lluvia. I remember the word lluvia because it reminds me of the English word jubilant. And that is exactly what the rain is like in the jungle--a triumphant, glad, glorious sort of thing that comes in a wave across the sachi inchi fields on a sweltering February day. It's jubilant.

The verb for "to wait" in Spanish is esperar. This same verb also means "to hope." I like how hope and wait are wrapped up together in one word. If I say, "I'm waiting for Jesus to come," I'm also saying, "I'm hoping for Jesus to come," at the same time. Which is just what it is: hopeful waiting, and a waiting hope.

5 Comments:

Blogger kelli g said...

I remember that from Spanish, but I've never thought of it that way...

8:42 PM  
Blogger Amberley said...

very beautiful post, Ansley. You have me longing to hear rain in the jungle.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

I love your word connections! The waiting and hoping is particularly inspiring! You know, the more languages you learn, the better you become at word play...just like Shakespeare! :)

7:58 AM  
Blogger The View from Great Island said...

I love the word picture of the jubilant rain in the jungle! Everything growing with exuberence it must be wonderful : ). Today we had heavy snow all day, and although it was very quiet, my heart with singing as I watched the snow drifting to the ground. Is it possible to be jubilant in the stillness of a snow storm? Though we are miles apart, I was rejoicing with you today!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Amen! I'm waiting and hoping for Jesus to come, too. :)

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home