Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ever

Ever (pronounced EH-bear) was the boat driver of a Christian medical launch boat on the Ucayali River for many years. He was also the coach of a neighborhood soccer team that won the championship game of the region. We are honored to work with him out at the project site at Km 38, and love to hear his animated stories.

This week, while Ryan and I were washing dishes, Ever leaned against the wall and told us this story.

"Several months ago my wife and I met a young boy living in our neighborhood," he said, "The boy was in need of many things, and we wanted to help him, even though we don't have much. We treated him like a son, he ate with us and we brought him to church with our family.

"He was a great kid, he had lots of potential."

Ever sighed. "I had recently purchased a moto, to help my family earn money. One day this young boy asked if he could use it for the day, to raise some money for himself, transporting people around. I trusted him, and agreed.

"He used my moto for about a month, always bringing it back in good shape at the end of the day. We were happy to help him.

"Then one day, he was gone. He took the moto, and we haven't seen or heard of him since. This happened last October. I had taken out a loan of 1000 soles to purchase the moto, and I just finished paying off that loan this February."

Ever saw the sadness on my face, and tried to dismiss it with his words. "God knows," he said, "God knows everything, and he provides. I have still been able to feed my family."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home