Monday, March 26, 2007

Goodbyes

It's Monday morning. I'm still in my pajamas, but I wandered out on a noisy Pucallpa street to get a little internet before Jenni comes back from running errands. We're going to head to Yarina Cocha so I can donate blood for a baby who is sick at a hospital there (we're a perfect type match), then pick up the generator at the mechanic, and take a taxi to Km 38 to get started on another week of work.

I'm sad. Last night I took my brother Alban and our friend Aaron to the airport here in Pucallpa, and this morning they are well on their way home to the States. I miss them. I don't like goodbyes.

Alban and Aaron were visiting for their Spring Breaks, Alban from Walla Walla College and Aaron from Loma Linda University. They cheerfully embraced the Peruvian culture and the life that I have come to love.

They endured hours of bumpy bus rides through the jungle mountains, bravely tried chicha morada and papas huancaina, took bucket baths with us at the land, played with our pets, met our neighbors, and corrected our Spanish. We found time to explore ancient ruins in the desert, hike through cloud forest to a very big waterfall, sing lots of hymns, and play many rounds of Rook, Scum, and Spades.

I'm so glad that they came.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thrushsong said...

Ansley,

I'm so glad you made it to the waterfall. I was wondering.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sounds great, Ansley. :) Do you have any more pictures?

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home