Thursday, June 07, 2007

Sheep


We had waited for Dr. Richard all day long. He had said he was going to arrive in the morning, but as we sat down to supper in his absence, we finally decided that he wasn't going to come.

Ten minutes later, the truck drove up. I went out to meet it, and was quite surprised as Dr. Richard and Domingo heaved three sheep out of the back of the truck.

They laid the animals down in the grass, their little hooves still tied together. The sheep bleated. They didn't sound like normal sheep to me, they sounded like sheep in a washing machine, wet, wrung out.

Doctor untied the legs of one and helped him stand up. He released his hands from the fuzzy body and chuckled. Suddenly, the sheep bolted. He just took off on a run.

"DOCTOR!" yelled Domingo, "Grab him, he won't come back!"

Doctor Richard took off after him, stumbling in the dark.

I laughed.

The sheep are our new lawn mowers. The project administration is tired of paying for fuel for the cultivator. So now we have sheep. There are two females and one young, smaller male. One of the females is grossly pregnant. They all say she's going to have twins in a few days. Twins!

The boys seem to think that the sheep can live quite nicely off of the grass that is in our yard. They said the furry munchkins need grass, nothing more. This concerns me. What about grain? A breakfast carrot? I'd be pretty dismal if all I had was grass to eat.

4 Comments:

Blogger phil said...

Debo admitir que me reí un poco. Es una idea ingenuosa. Quizás si compro alguna cabra o oveja, puedo dejar de cortar el cesped, y, a la vez, gustar de unos sueteres y un poco de queso de cabra de vez en cuando. Me parece un buen trato.

Chau.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Thrushsong said...

I guess you know what kind of animal you have but your picture is more suggestive of a goat to me than a sheep.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Alex's dream come true....
lol

8:43 AM  
Blogger kelli g said...

OK, since Ted said it looked like a goat, I feel like I can say it, too, and not look stupid. That animal looks like a goat. OK, that's all.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home