Friday, July 27, 2007

Sabbath afternoon



We're sitting in the big meeting tent, having a Bible study. It is a hot and calm Sabbath sfternoon, the breeze has been blowing through the central tunnel of the tent, and we are having a good discussion about judgement and the close of probation--just me and Carly.

Jen walks up. Jen lives next door, a tiny boy of nine who looks like he could be six years old. He has wide eyes and an easy, crooked grin. Jen likes to hang around us, watch what we're doing.

As Jen stands by, and we take notes in our journals, some bigger boys pass on their bikes. They yell and whistle at us, and say some words I won't repeat.

I watch Jen's reaction.

He looks down at the ground, and shakes his head, like a wise old adult, shunning the foolishness of youth.

Carly and I exchange a look, rolling our eyes. We're used to it.

"Ellos son feos," says Carly, and we laugh.

And then Jen laughs, too, and we are pleased to see he agrees.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brittnie said...

Here in Panama, I have an abundance of time, and no one to distract me. Sometimes I watch TV, but thankfully there's not much on that interests me. So instead I've been able to email some friends, and read their blogs. This morning yours made me late for church. Your stories are always so well written and interesting, I think it was worth it. I miss you, and I think I'll be seeing you sooon!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Squires Family said...

Ansley,

I'm starting up a family blog in your tradition. Probably won't have that much time to write (how do you do it?) but wanted to get started before we left. Hopefully you can give us some pointers here and there. Thank you so much for your fascinating missionary tales and for the beautiful photos.

love ya!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Jonas said...

Ansley,
Your writing brings me back to Peru in a unique and vivid way. God bless you in your remaining weeks in Peru.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home