Friday, November 24, 2006

Feet


I'm walking back from my bath at the well and I'm irritated because my feet and flipflops are so muddy. Just five minutes ago I scrubbed and scrubbed them with a bristle brush, removing the grime and buildup from the day.

The dirtiness of my feet is especially effected by two factors: my headlamp is dim from old batteries, and also there is very little ground that isn't thick mud or slushy puddle from the down pour earlier this afternoon. It's pretty much a worthless cause to try to keep my feet clean, but I really don't want to drag all this mud into my sheets.

Actually, when I think about it, my feet are in pretty bad shape to begin with. One of my toenails is black from where I dropped a hammer on it. My heels are dry, cracked, and sore from three months of wearing sandals. I have blisters from running, and my ankles are covered with red raised bumps from my nocturnal scratching of bug bites.

I'm still having my feet pity party when that verse comes to mind, that one from Isaiah that Paul quotes in Romans 10:15, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings."

I smile to myself. I want to be a peace proclaimer.

It's not the muddiness or the bug bites that matter, after all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ansley,

Thank you for taking time to create this post. As always, I'm inspired by your subject matter and impressed by your style.

A book must follow!

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your transition at the end. I can just see a rather irritated Ansley looking at her muddied feet, and then slowly a smile sneaks up and takes the place of the dissatisfied look as she thinks of the potential beauty God sees in her feet. Lovely thought :) Thank you.

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home