Wednesday, February 14, 2007

February 14

Today marks my halfway point.

I have been living and learning in Perú for exactly six months now, and I have six more months to go until next August.

This morning I came into Campo Verde to buy food at the market. I stuck my head briefly into a sketchy internet cafe to check email and contact a few friends who live in another part of the country. It is always an odd experience to read the emails and blogs of my family and friends, so far away and experiencing such a different kind of life.

I logged out, wandered into the blazing sun, and headed over to the market. The lemon ladies had their fruit and their children spread out on the ground. The babies sleep on pieces of cardboard in the shade, and everyone keeps and eye on them.

The bread lady called to me, "Little Sister, are you going to buy my bread today? I made it for you!"

The air is thick with the smells of the butcher stands, the decaying piles of vegetables, the menús where ladies fry potatoes and yuca.

I have so much more to say about my experience here so far, and also about how I feel about it being half over. But today I don't have the words in my head or the time to write more.

So I'll save it for another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thrushsong said...

I think you've communicated your thoughts, feelings and experiences so well thus far. I look forward to when you have the time to give us your 6 month assessment. Until then, your description of the marketplace warms me as I sit here viewing bare branches in the dawn of a cold day in late February. It's time to rise and build up the fires at the beginning of another day.

3:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home