Friday, November 24, 2006

Pie crust

Today I made a squash pie for Thanksgiving, because they don't have pumpkin in Pucallpa.

I made the crust like my mother taught me, just like her mother taught her, and just like her grandmother taught her mother.

I remember watching my mother make pie crust, her careful flour-covered hands making perfect ridges around the edge. She would poke precise patterns with a fork across the bottom and all along the sides so the pastry would not puff up. I would hope for scraps of dough, so we could make cinnamon sugar pin wheels together.

In my family, food equals love. There were so many days in my childhood when I felt the love of my parents as I ate the pie they would make; the tart apple or berry filling that my dad would whip together, the flaky crust that was an act of genius on my mother's part.

Sometimes you have to be away from something to realize how special it is. I miss my parents, and I miss sitting at the kitchen table with them, soaking up their wisdom and kindness. I know that this missing will make my reunion with them all the more joyous.

The squash pie was delicious. The boys made quick work of the cinnamon sugar pin wheels, as well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was absolutely beautiful. you have such a delicious way with words. (and so, it sounds, do you have in the kitchen)

I'm going to relish eating a meal tomorrow with your family. I'm sure we will miss you and be happy that we can know about your squash pie.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Thrushsong said...

Thank you, Ansley, for your kind words. We look forward to eating with you again and hearing how your experiences in Peru have shaped who you are.

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home