Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Recipes, please

The recent edition of a new gas stove and oven to our kitchen has greatly increased the variety of food that we can make in the jungle. It has also made me aware of the cooking rut that I'm stuck in--we pretty much eat the same menu week after week.

I would like to ask you, kind readers, to email me a recipe or two. I am looking for anything that is somewhat simple and substitute-friendly. (We don't have electric mixers for whipping egg whites for 10 minutes, for example, and since we don't have a fridge, storing something in the fridge for two hours is a little difficult).

Here's some ideas of some things I would like to experiment with: pita bread, tortillas, anything thing to do with beans: bean soup, bean salad, etc., sticky buns, cookies, hummus, falafels, recipes for potatoes, crepes, granola, currys to put over rice, scones, Spanish rice, crackers, and pretty much anything else that you like to eat.

Ingredients are sometimes a challenge to track down, but I find that as time goes by I am getting better at rummaging in the markets until I can actually land us some vegetable shortening for pie crust, or raisins for cookies. It's really amazing what you can find hidden in those markets.

You can send recipes to my email address: laurelhowe@southern.edu. I'll be sure to write back and tell you how it turned out. Thanks for your help!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Payne said...

Hey, how is your garden growing? At all? What kind of herbs do you have access to? I'm going to try to find some fun recipes for you, but I need to know what other ingredients you might be able to use! :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Sent you a recipe:)
Bill

4:01 AM  
Blogger Ansley said...

Hi Jen,

Sadly, the turkeys and chickens devoured our garden sprouts when we were off working in the jungle. We haven't had a chance to replant, although I'm hoping to buy some pots and start another little herb garden soon.

We are blessed to have access to lots and lots of vegetables, depending on the season and the weather: white corn, broccoli, tomatos, onions, garlic, green peas, carrots, green beans, peppers, cucumbers, and sometimes lettuce although it is mostly very scary. And potatoes are pretty much the cheapest thing you can buy in Peru, even cheaper than rice!

I can usually find basil, parsley, cilantro, and chives at the market, also depending on the time of day and the recent weather.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home