Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Charged by a llama

We hike down a stiff mountain covered with tricky bubbling streams and alpine flowers, trying not to slip in our wet boots. Around a corner we find ourselves face to face with a good sized herd of llamas, munching. They eye us. I'm hiking in front, and I stop in my tracks, evaluating the shaggy and unpredictable beasts.

"John," I say to my cousin behind me, "What if one of them charges me?"

He doesn't answer. It's a dumb question.

I laugh. "Wouldn't that be a hilarious blog title? 'Charged by a llama?' I think it would make for a good read."

As we continue towards them, the llamas leap away from us and trot up the hill. Blast. I was ready to fight one of them off with one of my hiking poles and protect the rest of my companions from near death.

"Ansley, Ansley, Ansley." says John. He doesn't need to say more.

I know it was a silly idea. But, seriously, if a llama charges me the next time I'm in the mountains, you can be sure I'll write about it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It’s not such a silly idea. I was charged by a llama once and he wasn't even wild. My cousin, Crystal, was his vet and she was showing me what a sweet boy he was. And sure enough, he really was sweet—to her at least. He put his face in close to hers, blinked his long lashes beguilingly and let himself be scratched. Appearing harmless enough I cautiously let myself in at the gate and made my way across the paddock toward the two of them. He took one look at me and my timid ways, flattened his ears and charged. He body slammed me like a line backer and we both went down. He knelt on me and wouldn't get off until Crystal arrived to woo him away. Besides for the wind knocked out of my lungs and a sprained ankle I was fine. It turned out to be a sort of blessing in disguise because I had to wear a stabilizing boot for the first three weeks of my summer of colporteuring and those were the the best weeks. Apparently everybody felt sorry for the gimpy girl. I’m glad that didn’t happen to you up in the hills where the only way out is by hoofing it.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ansley, this post made me smile :) a lot. You painted such a funny picture in my mind. Thanks :)

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home